Panic attacks, also called “anxiety attacks,” are characterized by high levels of anxiety and are typically identified by their overwhelming physical symptoms.
They may be triggered by awareness of frightening physical sensations in the body or they may seem to occur out of the blue.
Any of the following physical feelings may create significant distress for people who suffer from panic disorders:
- Heart palpitations, pounding or an accelerated heart rate
- Chest pain, discomfort or tightness
- Trembling or shaking
- Shortness of breath or a feeling you can’t breathe
- Feelings of choking
- Feeling unsteady, dizzy or faint
- Chills or heat sensations
- Excessive or unexpected sweating
Due to the intensity and unpleasantness of the experience, people focus attention on avoiding a recurrence of the experience and as such they may avoid certain situations, interfering with daily life. We provide the most up-to-date psychological treatments to provide relief from panic disorder. Please contact us (212) 362-4490 or email email@example.com for a free phone consultation to learn more about panic disorder treatment.