Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) occurs when a person gets caught in cycles of unwanted intrusive thoughts or images that trigger intensely distressing feelings such as anxiety, shame and guilt.
Compulsions are mental or physical behavioral responses a person engages in to eliminate obsessions and reduce emotional distress.
You may be suffering from OCD if you experience any of the following symptoms:
- Repetitive or disturbing intrusive thoughts
- Compulsive behaviors such as checking, reassurance-seeking, excessive hand washing
- Persistent fears about the safety of loved ones
- Ruminating about past mistakes, errors, or violation of religious or moral codes
- Disabling fear of germs or contamination
- Intense and debilitating perfectionism
OCD treatment is rarely successful with traditional talk therapy alone. We use scientifically proven, research-based methods such as Exposure Response Prevention (ERP), Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) and Mindfulness training and more to equip our clients with effective strategies that challenge OCD-related thoughts, feelings and behaviors. We understand how difficult living with OCD can be and we are committed to your healing from OCD, respecting your own pace. Contact us (212) 362-4490 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a free 15-minute phone consultation with a therapist.